Hawkers who maintained their prices

Sharing of information on food news picked up from other media. Exchange of opinions, knowledge and experience on self-created topics.

Moderators: Moderator, dramaqueen

Hawkers who maintained their prices

Postby Tiantianchi » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:56 pm

http://www.soshiok.com/article/14741

With the increasing food prices and rental, it is difficult for hawkers to maintain their price. This is despite the suspicious of them taking the opportunity to profiteer. It is not always the case.

Kudos to these hawkers who do their best to maintain their prices. Some of them resist the price increase for fear of losing customers, so rather make less profit, some work harder and some try to source for cheaper alternatives.

Reminded me of Punggol Noodle (aka Du Pi Dao Noodle) at Hougang street 21. He told me he moved to the coffeeshop instead of staying put at the sub-let stall in the more crowded Kovan Food Centre. The reason is the rental here is more reasonable so that he can continue to serve huge portion at the same price to his regular customers despite food prices increase and his popularity. He said if he increases the price or reduce the portion "cannot face the regulars".

I remembered there was a thread on this topic but maybe it is the time to revive it. :D Don't know for how long more they can replace this prices. :(
Tiantianchi
Die-die-must-Reply

Re: Hawkers who maintained their prices

Postby Bubao » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:14 pm

Dunno if use cheaper alternatives safe or not leh. :-?
I am still hungry
Bubao
Veteran

Postby Tiantianchi » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:27 pm

Well, we can't be sure those who charge high price do not use cheaper ingredients. :-?
Tiantianchi
Die-die-must-Reply

Postby today » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:26 am

Title : Hawkers in Bedok and Kampong Chai Chee pledge to maintain prices
By : Evelyn Lam
Date : 20 Mar 2011 1147 hrs (GMT + 8hrs)

SINGAPORE : Two hawker centres in eastern Singapore have pledged not to increase food prices over the next six months.

They are the food centres at Bedok North Block 216 and Kampong Chai Chee Block 207.

Some 120 stalls, or 85 per cent of them, will bear a label from Singapore's Retail Price Watch Group, indicating their participation.

Stalls not joining the initiative cited several reasons, like concerns about price fluctuations in food ingredients.

There is also a possibility that other eateries and retail outlets may explore a similar scheme of keeping product prices stable.

Lee Yi Shyan, Minister of State for Trade and Industry, who is also chairman of the Retail Price Watch Group, said: "This is to create awareness as well as to advertise the Bedok Centre markets, that they still offer a wide range of prices, and there are over a dozen stalls that still offer S$2 food...in Bak Kut Teh, in chicken rice, in mee rebus and so on. And they are usually the very popular stalls."

- CNA/ac/ms

Hawkers sacrifice earnings to maintain prices, yet ministers pay is increasing. :lol:
A friend in need, is a friend you don't need - Garfield
today
Seasoned Makankaki

Postby asian-malaysian » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:54 pm

I certainly dont want to detract from the worthiness of what these hawkers are doing but the reality is that when cost goes up, it has to be passed on to the consumer. The only other alternative is to reduced either the quantity or the quality. I really do respect what these people are doing but the model is not sustainable in the long run. How much further into the outskirts do you want your best hawkers to be pushed to maintain prices? Johor? :P
The chinaman is not the issue here, dude!
asian-malaysian
Veteran

Postby hawkerfan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:13 pm

today wrote:Hawkers sacrifice earnings to maintain prices, yet ministers pay is increasing. :lol:

This is one point that frustrates me, because it hits a raw nerve, our civil servants are one of the most highly paid in the world and when they are that high up, it makes it even more difficult for them to appreciate the fact that just a 50 cents increase in hawker prices represents a substantial increase in expense for the common folks. Who are the people who patronise hawker foods? More than 90% of them do not earn income higher than the average person and mainly in low to mid income bracket. So much about the talk of decreasing the income gap.

No fault of the hawkers, if the increase in price, essentially offsets material costs increment and inflation. However, I think that in order for government to earn their keep and justify their salaries, they should do something about:

1) Rents.
2) Rebates for Gas, Water and Electrical bills for Hawkers
3) exclude food and consumables from GST.
4) If needed, set up some kind of operation which facilitates hawkers to connect to various suppliers where some form of subsidies, collective bargaining and economies of scale can be achieved.

As it is, not enough is being done.
hawkerfan
Veteran

Postby Tiantianchi » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:24 pm

hawkerfan wrote:4) If needed, set up some kind of operation which facilitates hawkers to connect to various suppliers where some form of subsidies, collective bargaining and economies of scale can be achieved.

Correct me if I am wrong. I thought the setting up of SFI (Singapore Food Industry) was for that purpose years ago?
Tiantianchi
Die-die-must-Reply

Postby hawkerfan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:27 pm

The SFI does not benefit many operators at the grassroot level. No offense to anyone, but as it is, the internal workings are in shambles and again, not enough is being done.
hawkerfan
Veteran

Postby rict11 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:46 pm

I was a little puzzled after looking at TTC's post but I guess you guys are not talking about http://www.sfi.com.sg/
rict11
Seasoned Makankaki

Postby Tiantianchi » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:49 am

Yes, we are talking about SFI. That was what I heard when I was much younger and they were set out to help source reasonably priced supply for food businesses. I guess I heard wrong. :(
Tiantianchi
Die-die-must-Reply

Postby hawkerfan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:21 pm

You may not have heard wrong. I think when they first started, they had a hope to do more to benefit everyone but they just end up using their clout to get deals done that benefit themselves. If I'm not wrong, they are set up like a private sector company and in fact a competitor to many in the F&B industry.

If you ask any hawker, they probably don't know who to call for help. None of the various dept in the govt are set up to help them. If you call any minutely relevant dept such as AVA, they will all tai chi the work to another ministry. Even the only union we have in Singapore, NTUC, has done little for their benefit.

Many of the older hawkers are from past generations who did not benefit from much education. Not just them, I also get really upset when I call a helpline and then it goes press 1 for this, 2 for that... :evil: They need to be proactive, put people to be on the ground, not just checking for hygiene, but also looking out at the grand scheme of things.

I can tell you this, based on several schools, higher paid civil servants and some rich families have children in schools who generally shun hawkers and look down on them, often frequent designer coffee houses and even restaurants, and for the amount of pocket money they get, have little appreciation for how the lower tier of people live and struggle. I guess the income gap problem will likely only get worse in future.
hawkerfan
Veteran

Postby AlexS » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:59 pm

If hawkers increases the prices of food, then probbably I'm gonna have to ask my employer, Home Tutor Singaporeto increase my salary benefits, too. My collegues and I enjoy spending time and eating deilcious foold there.
AlexS
Freshie

Return to Food Gossips