foodblogger asking for free food

Sharing of information on food news picked up from other media. Exchange of opinions, knowledge and experience on self-created topics.

Moderators: Moderator, dramaqueen

Re: foodblogger asking for free food

Postby Bubao » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:39 pm

I think I now read review of this place with pinches of salt after knowing how they get the reviews. :lol:

Unless it is by some of our forum veterens whom we believed and trust such as eslim, TTC, foodlovee, Bugger, AsianMalaysian, Bobafett81 etc.

The restaurant's rebuttal also a little weak leh.
http://www.privateaffairs.com.sg/pdf/press.pdf

So very curious who is the little bird who pass the news considering whatever happens happened after the restaurant brunch closing hours and no other customers are there to witness. :lol:

This strategy might just back fired on them lor. :lol: :lol:
I am still hungry
Bubao
Veteran

Postby Bubao » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:48 am

End of Story
August 23, 2010 by myfoodsirens

Whoa, I just reached home from a long day at training school and boy, I see that this issue with said blogger seems to be blowing out of proportion.

Yahoo! Singapore has published a post on it and Straits Times’ Lifestyle is going to run an article on Wednesday. And I heard that his address and contact numbers have been ferreted out by some scarily brilliant people online… Come on, that’s going too far and I think it’s a little too extreme.
As a food blogger, I put in a lot of time and effort in my blog, as a personal memento and a platform to share my passion with whoever is interested. And I know that said blogger put in as much, if not even more, elbow grease than me.While I do stand by what I wrote, it is still a pity to see a blog being suspended over a silly mistake and perhaps, out of misplaced arrogance.Imagine years of effort going down the drain just like that.

I’m not saying that I feel sorry for him; I don’t, cuz he should have thought of the consequences of his own actions in the first place. That said, it’s still a learning point for all of us, food bloggers or otherwise. Let’s always be humble and never ever let “fame” go into our heads.

I really hope that readers don’t discredit the food blogger community now. Just take whatever we write with a pinch of salt. Food is so subjective; what I love may be exactly what you hate. And fellow bloggers, I’ll still be following your blogs religiously so please continue writing!

By the way, some of you may be feeling puzzled about my postscript in the previous post so let me clarify. I was the first to post on this issue yesterday, before HungryEpicurean and Yahoo! Singapore published their articles. At that time, and even now, I have NO intention of mentioning any specific names/blogs cuz I’ve been threatened by Obolo before and I’ve wisely learnt my lesson so that lawsuits don’t come flying my way. My postscript was meant to be a not-too-subtle hint on who he is, but now that his identity has been revealed by Yahoo! Singapore, I guess it’s redundant now, though I’ll just leave it as it is.

Alright, I’m not going to write on this issue anymore. What I want to say has been said. Next post on Paris, stay tuned! =)

Part 2
End of Story #2
August 24, 2010 by myfoodsirens
Aye, I can’t help myself. My hands are itching to write now that I’ve read “the truth” and you guys already know the other side of the story. I’ve glanced through the comments and there seems to be mixed reactions, which is all well and good.

1 particular comment caught my attention: Rae commented that I “should probably ask (myself) if (my) current unapologetic stance stemmed from (my) pride and embarrassment that (I) kind of made a fool out of (myself) in (my) previous post. Continuing to dig a bigger hole for (myself) doesn’t help (you) and will only serve to amuse (my) non supporters.”

So here’s my reply:
It may jolly well be a case of miscommunication, but I must admit that I’m quite skeptical. It may be the truth, or it may just be damage control. What is obvious to me though, is the poor attitude displayed. Bringing 3 friends along, being late, and then tossing the credit card when made to pay? Errr, I don’t know about you but that doesn’t sound very gracious to me. You may want toread the comments here cuz some of them made a few good points which I won’t repeat. By the way, I wasn’t even aware that this is a contest to garner supporters -__-

True, I’m unapologetic. But it’s not cuz I’m prideful or embarrassed. I see this blog as my platform to voice my own thoughts. If blogs are not personal, then why waste my time and blog? So, sorry to disappoint those who’s waiting for a public apology from me, but it’s not ever going to come. This is not arrogance, it’s just that I still stand by my words and I’m certainly not going to apologise for my own opinion. We don’t live in a dead society where everyone thinks alike. You are entitled to form your own stand, and I have a right to keep mine, cheers.

P.S. I promise promise PROMISE that I’m gonna keep my hands to myself and not write any other post on this anymore cuz t’s no fun to keep harping on the same issue. Paris next! Promise =)

Anyone knows of any story behind them 2? :lol: :lol:
I am still hungry
Bubao
Veteran

Postby Tiantianchi » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:14 pm

Don't know. Maybe want to be another Xiaxue? :lol:

Anyway, time to let the matter rest. Whoever started this has achieved their purpose, there is no need for us to add more oil to it.

A good wake up call for all bloggers, reviewers to watch their conduct. This sort of incident is waiting to happen....
Tiantianchi
Die-die-must-Reply

Postby foodlovee » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:01 pm

Will there be an ??
End of Story part 3
:lol:
Love to eat live to eat
foodlovee
Veteran

Postby suede76 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:16 pm

asian-malaysian wrote:Are there really such "rapport building" exercises? What is the purpose if not to obtain a review? If there are such exercises, the "rapport" should be disclosed if the reviewers/writers/editors ever do issue a review regardless if it was later done on an incognito self paid basis.

Like I said, the purpose is to build rapport or simply for exposure, even if it doesn't become a review, it's still in the reviewer's mind. Bona fide reviewers (including bloggers) are also invited to tastings sometimes just to get their personal feedback on a new menu, or when there's a new chef, etc. Over time, certain reviewers also become friends of restaurant managers and PR peeps... On a side note, even music, car reviewers are invited to free meals, product launches and even overseas trips (which they are not obligated to write about), do they also have to declare that in their reviews?
suede76
Regular

Postby Bubao » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:09 pm

Ah Boh Ten? Eat already wiped mouth then walk out? :lol:

This blogger got guts to speak what on many minds man that the conspiracy starts with the restaurant. :lol:

http://littlechillipadi.wordpress.com/2 ... -brad-lau/
I am still hungry
Bubao
Veteran

Postby asian-malaysian » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:33 pm

suede76 wrote:
asian-malaysian wrote:Are there really such "rapport building" exercises? What is the purpose if not to obtain a review? If there are such exercises, the "rapport" should be disclosed if the reviewers/writers/editors ever do issue a review regardless if it was later done on an incognito self paid basis.

Like I said, the purpose is to build rapport or simply for exposure, even if it doesn't become a review, it's still in the reviewer's mind. Bona fide reviewers (including bloggers) are also invited to tastings sometimes just to get their personal feedback on a new menu, or when there's a new chef, etc. Over time, certain reviewers also become friends of restaurant managers and PR peeps... On a side note, even music, car reviewers are invited to free meals, product launches and even overseas trips (which they are not obligated to write about), do they also have to declare that in their reviews?
Like I said, they should disclose their prior relationship and experience. Whats the harm in it? Did I ever say it was wrong for them to accept those meals trips, etc? Lets be frank. The rapport and exposure youre talking about is a plain form of advertising as far as the restaurant managers and PR peeps etc are concerned no matter how it is sugar coated. Strictly speaking, there is nothing intrinsicly wrong about it. But if you put yourself out as attending as a bona fide reviewer and not as a "foodie friend" or "consultant" or any other such hat, I think you should review (good or bad) and you should be as transparent and so independent as possible. Thats just my opinion and anyone is welcome to disagree.
The chinaman is not the issue here, dude!
asian-malaysian
Veteran

Postby foodlovee » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:05 pm

I don't whether it ok or not to have free meals for reviews.But when pre arranged invitation reviews take place,can we expect to have the same quatity and attention be given to the dishes as that of a invited reviews. :roll:
Love to eat live to eat
foodlovee
Veteran

Postby asian-malaysian » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:27 pm

^ If you didnt know that there was a pre-arranged invitation because the article didnt say so, I imagine you would certainly have that expectation. :)
asian-malaysian
Veteran

Postby suede76 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:58 pm

Personally, my default assumption would be that food blogs are not 100% independent or objective. Perhaps that's why I don't feel as 'betrayed' as some others in light of the ladyironchef saga.

I don't often read food blogs but I was looking at ieatishoot today, he declares that he's not paid to write the reviews and that while he goes to tastings, he only writes reviews when he feels it would "give (his) readers a positive experience." In other words: If you don't have anything good to say, don't say it.

I feel that is enough for me to know where he stands. And even if he says he pays for his own meals, I'm not inclined to trust his reviews anymore than I would under his current policy...
suede76
Regular

Postby foodlovee » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:22 pm

he only writes reviews when he feels it would "give (his) readers a positive experience." In other words: If you don't have anything good to say, don't say it.

http://ieatishootipost.sg/2008/02/xin-m ... te-is.html

Just to show 1 reviews,what's so positive? Easily said than done. :lol:
Love to eat live to eat
foodlovee
Veteran

Postby Bubao » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:22 pm

OMG! Hua lao eh! Don't play play with this diva. :lol:

http://xiaxue.blogspot.com/2010/08/ever ... ggers.html

I don't even dare to quote the article. Surely kena chop-chop by moderator. 8)
I am still hungry
Bubao
Veteran

Postby today » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:57 am

Bubao wrote:OMG! Hua lao eh! Don't play play with this diva. :lol:

http://xiaxue.blogspot.com/2010/08/ever ... ggers.html

I don't even dare to quote the article. Surely kena chop-chop by moderator. 8)

Like! :D
A friend in need, is a friend you don't need - Garfield
today
Seasoned Makankaki

Postby Tiantianchi » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:20 am

:o :o :o :o

More scandalous than I thought.

:o :o :o :o

PR gone haywired.....
Tiantianchi
Die-die-must-Reply

Postby asian-malaysian » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:18 am

^^ I dont know if its gone haywired. I think its very effectve as I am half minded to try the food at Private Affairs. Especially after reading that Diva's comments. :lol: :lol: :lol:
asian-malaysian
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Food Gossips