Where To Buy Fresh And Cheap Cherries?

Queries and information on food that do not fall into Street Food and Restaurant categories.

Moderators: Moderator, dramaqueen

Where To Buy Fresh And Cheap Cherries?

Postby bobafett81 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:23 am

Would like to enquire where can buy really sweet, fresh and cheap cherries?

I know supermarkets got, but any particular ones with good lobangs?

And recently heard got black and white cherries... so wanna find out what on earth are white cherries...

CHERRIES CONTAIN PERILLYL ALCOHOL & ELLAGIC ACID

The health benefits of cherries are becoming more evident everyday.

“Laboratory studies show that by just eating 20 cherries, you’ll be getting six grams of cholesterol-controlling fibre, plus a whooping 524 mg of potassium - a mineral that helps prevent high blood pressure. It also provides 25 mg of anthocyanins- powerful chemicals that protect artery walls from the damage that lead to plaque build-up and heart disease”, says food science and nutrition researcher, Muraleedharan Nair, Ph. D.

Recent and ongoing research at several U.S. Universities has proven that cherries are also an excellent source of natural antioxidants. They have identified at least 17 antioxidant compounds that exist in cherries.

New research is focusing on two naturally occurring Phytochemicals found in cherries: Perillyl alcohol (POH) and Ellagic Acid. These compounds exhibit chemo-therapeutic and chemo-preventative properties towards a range of cancer cells. Perillyl alcohol is a monoterpene. The chemical enhances the production of liver enzymes that aid cell purification. A number of experiments on perillyl alcohol have been conducted in the various research centres: National Cancer Institute of America (NCI), research departments of Yale University, University of Wisconsin, University of California and the University of Indiana. Nutritionists were surprised when they discovered that cherries are packed with perillyl alcohol, that not only flushes cancer-causing substances out of the body but also helps stunt the growth of cancerous cells. Perillyl alcohol has performed favourably in the treatment of advanced carcinomas of the breast, prostate and ovary. In fact, research suggests that perillyl alcohol is so powerful, it could slash the incidence of all types of cancer as much as 50% - making it 5 times more effective than limonene, the proven cancer-fighter found in red grapefruit.

Clinical testing by the University of Wisconsin Comprehensive Cancer Center in advanced cancer patients established a maximally tolerated dose (MTD) for perillyl alcohol of over 10 grams per day. Even at this high dosage, perillyl alcohol has little toxicity in humans.

Dr Raymond Hohl, University of Iowa biochemist, explains that POH “appears to shut down the growth of cancer cells by depriving them of the proteins they need to grow.” He added “Perillyl Alcohol works on every kind of cancer we’ve tested it against.” Perillyl alcohol has been shown to induce the regression of 81% of small breast cancers and up to 75% of advanced breast cancers in animal studies. It was up to five times more potent than the other known cancer reducing compounds at inducing tumour regression.

Such recent breakthroughs on this chemical may see manufacturers of dietary supplements jumping on the bandwagon to produce supplements promising the benefits of perillyl alcohol.

We can look forward to supplementing our diet with perillyl alcohol as an added measure for Cancer prevention.

http://www.bio-medicalresearch.com/newsextract.htm
bobafett81
Die-die-must-Reply

Postby ronnie » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:18 pm

Saw they were selling cherries at the Bukit Merah Fruit Store, along the row of shop houses opp Tiong Bahru Plaza. Apparently they had 2 types of cherries on sale when I was there Sunday.
ronnie
Regular

Postby chihuahua » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:21 pm

I think white cherries are those ivory coloured ones with a pink tinge. They are sweeter than the normal dark red ones
chihuahua
Seasoned Makankaki

Postby Xing » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:38 pm

lets post the prices here:

1) Carrefour - $2.69 per 100gm
Xing
Freshie

Postby bobafett81 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:42 pm

chihuahua wrote:I think white cherries are those ivory coloured ones with a pink tinge. They are sweeter than the normal dark red ones

where to buy white cherries?
bobafett81
Die-die-must-Reply

Postby LambChop » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:32 pm

I love them but they are not cheap.
LambChop
Regular

Postby Moonie » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:51 pm

They look more like yellow cherries to me hehe.
Moonie
Regular

Postby bobafett81 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:56 pm

Selected NTUC now selling one box for S$9.90
bobafett81
Die-die-must-Reply

Postby hungrybear » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:37 am

I luv fresh cherries, must be big and best of all are those with
hues of yellow, orange and red.

I can eat a kilo on my own in one sitting. Very addictive. 8)
http://hungrybear-hungrybear.blogspot.com/

The smallest deed is better than the grandest intention. Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Theresa
hungrybear
Die-die-must-Reply

Postby mosfet » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:44 pm

hungrybear wrote:I luv fresh cherries, must be big and best of all are those with
hues of yellow, orange and red.

Those should be called Rainier cherries and they are indeed super. The other great tasting type (dark red) are Bing cherries which are also more common. At least those are the American names. Some other lighter red cherries are more tart and meant for baking pies.
mosfet
Regular

Postby Pinkheart » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:58 pm

No cherries that flown to Singapore taste as sweet at those that i ate in the States. IMHO.
Pinkheart
Seasoned Makankaki

Postby bobafett81 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:09 am

it seems that Cold Storage does not sell cherries?

Neither do Shop and Save and Giant too...
bobafett81
Die-die-must-Reply

Postby Tiantianchi » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:02 am

Why not? Just saw some at Shop N Save Serangoon and Cold Storage Centrepoint.
Tiantianchi
Die-die-must-Reply

Postby dine2die » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:01 pm

My Dad goes to Pasir Pangjan Wholesale Centre. I think he gets them at $100 per case, for lots or cherries even before they get to the supermarket.
dine2die
Regular

Postby bobafett81 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:05 pm

100 bucks of cherries too much leh
bobafett81
Die-die-must-Reply

Next

Return to Food Tips/ Did You Know?