Jiang Ji Chicken Rice

This includes recommendations, complaints (on quality, price etc), information on relocation, opening address... Note: we go according to food type, not settings. E.g. laksa served in a restaurant is still considered street food.

Moderators: Moderator, dramaqueen

Jiang Ji Chicken Rice

Postby Moderator » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:38 pm

On the bequest of many forummers, this is a migration of posts from "Which is your favourite chicken rice" as this is too long and repetitive on this stall for the thread. Jiang Ji deserve its own thread so please kindly continue this topic from here. This helps other forummers or visitors to track this thread easier using the search function.

Panerai wrote:Was recently invited to a coffee shop @ Beo Crescent - Hong Xiang Eating House, where i savoured one the best chicken rice ever. Was told that the owner of this chicken rice stall - Jiang Ji Hainanese Chicken Rice, is the one of the "pioneer" during the days of Chatterbox Chicken @ Mandarin Singapore.

The chicken is tender and really awesome and the soup is tasty... no msg.... most importantly, you get to savour Chatterbox Chicken standard for local coffee shop price.... Since then, i have been there 3 times with 3 different friends and they were all addicted to this.....

Try it soon before the queue gets too long and quality of his chicken gets compromised :lol:

In case you wonder where Beo Crescent is , it is in Havelock Road. This coffee shop is along the same stretch of shops where Liang Kee is..... Happy eating....

If i may steal this phrase.....Die Die must try.... hahahahhaa...... oopss.....

h030831 wrote:Panerai,
Believe Hong Xiang Eating House address is 745, Havelock road near the NTUC Fairprice supermarket at Blk 50.

H030831

Tiantianchi wrote:
Panerai wrote:.... Since then, i have been there 3 times with 3 different friends and they were all addicted to this.....

Duh, if I know earlier, I should collect commission from old man Jiang.

Will be there for dinner. Can I trouble you to check what time they close tonight when you have lunch there? :lol:

Panerai wrote:Haha..... When I went there for lunch ystd old man paid for my 2 cups of Kopi o! I told his son that I cannot accept unless he takes me to mandarin for coffee, and rtn the 1.60 to him :) will check for you n revert via SMS to u later .
Tiantianchi wrote:Msg received. Thanks! I hope you did not finish my share tonight.

Tiantianchi wrote:Indeed. Closed today. :(

My take on Jiang Ji.

http://www.makansutra.com/foodblog/?p=1229
Regular

Re: Jiang Ji Chicken Rice

Postby Moderator » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:42 pm

wow... TTC and Panerai... both of you surprised me.. 3 days in a row.. at the same place for lunch and/or dinner.. omg!!!..
[/quote]
foodlovee wrote:Tried yesterday,chicken was quite outstanding,rice was okay but still can improve.Will try again soon.
BobcatSysOp wrote:I'm not sure yet but most likely my wife and I will be there at Jiang Ji for chicken rice lunch tomorrow. Are you planning to be there too?.. SMS me if you are going..
BobcatSysOp wrote:Image
SGD7.00 for this plate of delicious chicken meat with 2 plates of rice and soup of course.
I was there for lunch today with my wife at 11.30am.. left at 12 noon after chatting with Sergeant Kiang and his daughter Susan. Enjoyed our lunch very much.

Stall Closure for CNY: Last day today.. starting from tomorrow 2nd Feb re-opening on the 3rd day of CNY, Sat 5th Feb, 2011.
Regular

Postby Moderator » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:46 pm

BobcatSysOp wrote:Sergeant Kiang of Jiang Ji Hainanese Chicken Rice told me his business over at 745 Havelock Road has not been good for sometime until we discovered him and some new found kakis start to patronize his stall after a couple of us started posting his new whereabouts.

His monthly stall rental is SGD2,000 at the coffee shop and he sells only 7-8 chickens a day (at the most) and many a time, he is doing loosing business because of the residential crowd are from the lower income group and they prefer to eat at Beo Crescent FC for cheaper alternatives. The past week after the news of his whereabouts were made known, he is a much happier man now.. having better business than before and he hopes that can continue and see our support for him. Usually his son Alvin (Ah Ann) comes to help him but today, I saw his daughter Susan coming to help out at the stall. We will try to help patronize his stall to keep his business going.
Tiantianchi wrote:I would say his chicken is cheap even by heartland standard. Each chicken is only $19 ( I heard however, he might need to increase price due to chicken price hike).

He told me a story about a customer who scolded him for serving his plate of chicken rice using breast meat. However after eating it, he comes back constantly and ask for chicken breast. :lol:

I also wish his business can do better and Alvin can completely learn his skill. At 73, I am not so sure how long he will be cooking.
Panerai wrote:BobcatSysOp and TTC

I was there again this afternoon, as promised. What surprises me was that there were hardly any chicken left when i arrived at 1230hours. I was raving to my buddy last evening at the Cricket Club and today, he secretly went to eat without calling me :( No la, in fact, he was calling me and i was stuck in a meeting till when i finally arrived there with 2 other friends, i saw him eating alone....

Indeed, Mr Jiang is a much happier person. When i finished my lunch at about 1345hours, he had to prepare some more chicken as there were none left! I must admit that i have been there no lesser than 6 times in less than a week.. each time taking my clients, and my family to savour this excellent chicken.

He will be closed tomorrow and resume business on 3rd day of CNY, 5th Feb 2011. His business hours start from 11am till about 7pm or he sells out his chickens. He rest every alternate sundays and this coming sunday, 6th Feb, his business will operate as usual.

I share one secret with you... (well with this sharing its no longer a secret)... ask him for the roast chicken backside! yes, roast chicken backside. I must admit that today is the 1st time in my more than 4 decade of existence that i tried this.. Mr Jiang brought 2 pcs of this Roast Chicken Backside and insist that i try... after chewing one , i wanted more and this man happily told me no more :( :( I somehow sense that my facial complexion is smoother now... :) :)

Well folks, i strongly advice you to get down to Jiang Ji and try their chix come 5th Feb. Any later than next week, you will live to regret as he may be overwhelmed :) :D

lastly, i like to take this opportunity to wish all of you a Prosperous and Bountiful CNY! Gong Xi Fa Cai!
Bugger wrote:Wah piang eh...bo pian liao...must go try! :lol:
BobcatSysOp wrote:Hi Panerai,
Thanks for sharing the little secret. I love bishop's nose (old folks usually do and I'm not an exception) and I shall be looking out for that availability when I next visit Sgt Kiang.

I was just doing very simple calculation based on avg cost per raw chicken from the market to be say about SGD9 each and to sell at SGD19 each whole chicken means SGD10 gross profit each x 7 or 8 chickens per day x 28 days a month, that's miserable loosing business barely enough to just pay for his SGD2k rental. No wonder he always looks grim when I first met him. Sgt Kiang was happier yesterday when he started having better business the past week after we help promote his new whereabouts. I am planning to go there a little more often to help support his business and to keep it going..
Bubao wrote:Is this better than Tian Tian?
Panerai wrote:Uncle Bob, indeed, he is not making enough to cover his running cost. It's heart wrenching to see such an excellent chicken rice ( of course it's better than Tian Tian) with such an affordable price having such a low traffic volume. I wont say it's good value for money, I say, it's beyond expectation for this price!

I am looking forward to next week and indeed tis year of the rabbit is making sgt Jiang see light at e end of the tunnel. Something very positive is happening and mr Jiang is excited, me too and those in his inner circle.:) all I can say, to those who have not tried, die die must try! For Mr Jiang and his tender succulent chicken, it's worth the trip:)
Regular

Postby Moderator » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:48 pm

BobcatSysOp wrote:Panerai,
I sincerely do hope that this Rabbit (I'm a Rabbit into the 5th cycle of the Chinese Zodiac Almanac) who discovered his new whereabouts just about 2 weeks ago, could indeed help him in 2011. I'm still trying to help him promote his existence in food forums and in food facebooks.
Panerai wrote:You are a kind man Uncle Bob! His chicken is really good and excellent value for moeny :D he deserves better recognition for such an excellent culinary skill.

His daughter Susan was sharing with me that he takes pride in his work and cited one case where his Chilli was a a bit off, he threw them all away and re prepare them!

Tiantianchi wrote:Do go there with the mindset to eat a very good chicken rice by a legend. Don't go there because you want to pity him. Otherwise you miss the point altogether.

Bubao, go read my take on them to understand you cannot really compare them. They are 2 different styles and it depends very much which you prefer. I like both and as I alway say, when TianTian does it well, it is beyond any competition. When they are bad, they could still be above average but it is not the DDMT title they get then.

As for Jiang Ji, I hope with the 2 Kianga, they will maintain the consistency. For the few times I tried since I got the information from Bobcatsysop who I was told hear it from a friend (thanks to him!), the standard has been well maintained with some slight variation but got to come next few months or in between a long while to see if they are on the long haul. :lol: :lol:

I am moving on to the next new discovery. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regular

Postby Moderator » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:52 pm

BobcatSysOp wrote:Sgt Kiang told me his constant great challenge is to get his long term rice supplier to get him the rice he always wanted for many years. There are times when the rice (forget if it's new rice or old rice) supplied to him absorb lesser water, thus the rice gets soggy and that happens not because he put too much water.

Anyway, I agree with TTC that we should not just go to Jiang Ji because we pity him. We go there for his good chicken. My wife and I told Sgt Kiang that because his chicken is good, that's why we help him promote and Sgt Kiang knows that.
Tiantianchi wrote:New rice is suitable for making porridge as it still contain lots of moisture in the rice. Old rice for cooking fluffy rice that is not too soggy ( of cos the measurement water is important)

BobcatSysOp wrote:07 Feb 2011 3 pax Lunch with my wife and Dr.Azarael aka Derrick at Jiang Ji Traditional Hainanese Chicken Rice @ 745 Havelock Road, Singapore 169657.
I ordered innards (both liver and kian) as a side dish, ended up only me eating this. I think it cost SGD1.00

For 3 pax, we ordered half chicken and that is SGD10 for this plate with de-boned chicken meat. It is a lot with just meat. It's Derrick's 1st time and he enjoyed it very much. He's gonna return this Wed again with his wife.
Shiokness Score: 4.5 - Shiok Ah! This is almost as good as it gets.

The rice is fragrant and fluffy, grain by grain not lumpy, not oily nor greasy.

A pleasant surprise for us. Perhaps only old folks enjoy this kind of delicacy and I guess I am lucky today. The roasted one is excellent.

highlander wrote:I must say for a bishop's nose newbie like me, it did not have any smelly or unpleasant after taste.
Didn't try the boiled one though. Jiang Ji's white chicken is pretty good and the rice is of high standard well. Really liked their ginger dip as well. Definitely will be back for more, this time I think I need half a chicken for myself :P

Tiantianchi wrote:You better order one whole chicken. Half chicken already hardly enough for myself. :lol:

Panerai wrote:I was there yesterday and ordered 2 chickens to be packed home. Mr Jiang gave me 2 pcs of the famed bishop's nose (cos I tried it the last time I went and it was awesome)! Having lived for almost 4 and half decade, it's my first time trying this and wow, who needs SK II man!!! :lol: :lol:
Panerai wrote:Haha personally i love chicken rice. I even attempted to prepare them myself during weekends and it turned out acceptable but once i chopped it, it was a disaster! Hence I once asked TTC how to go about chopping a chix :lol: it anyone is willing teach my how to chop a whole chicken and able to present it decently on a plate, this will fulfill one of my several new year resolution :D

moreover, I enjoy simple hassle free local dishes and with Jiang Ji only. 10 mins drive from my office, it can't go wrong Uncle Bob!

Have you tried the kopi o in e same coffee shop? Got standard too !
I usually chop whole chicken for my mum whenever we have dinner there and it was considered acceptable for display and right size for eating. However, it never occur to me to take pictures. It is not too difficult to pick this cutting chicken up. I usually watch how chicken rice seller chop them and quickly picked it up. You usually start with slicing the 2 drum sticks and 2 wings first. Next, go right in the centre of to make it 2 halves. Next is to take one-half and determine the middle line to cut it up into 2. So with 2 halves, you now have 4 pieces. Then take each piece to chop into the right eating size, not too small and with each half done, pick it up with your chopper to display that on your plate. When you finished with all 4 halves, then put your drumsticks on top and the wings by the side. You can optionally cut up half the drumstick and cut off the wing stick and tip. That's my way of cutting chickens. Dunno if others have another way of cutting.

Yes.. the kopi there is nice too.
Regular

Postby Moderator » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:56 pm

Tiantianchi wrote:
Tiantianchi wrote:
My take on Jiang Ji.

http://www.makansutra.com/foodblog/?p=1229

Our friend in Japan, Sushi, has this translated into Japanese on his well known Singapore food blog. BTW, it is Chatterbox Chicken rice that makes him a convert to Singapore food and also well known Chicken rice expert in Tokyo.

http://singaporecooking.blogspot.com/20 ... -rice.html
:D

BobcatSysOp wrote:Aiyoh... You make me lose face only... Anyway, since Jiang Ji is your 2nd kitchen, you can always ask Sgt Kiang for advice.. and he will gladly show you how it's done.. Am sure he will not decline any of your request, right?

Tiantianchi wrote:You only have 1 chance to ask him. He was teaching me how to make his chicken rice and chilli. I forgot to take down some point and asked him again and he suddenly woke up :lol: :lol: and said "Aiyo cannot teach you lah, otherwise my secret all review already" :lol: :lol:
Regular

Postby Moderator » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:01 pm

C_T_Lao wrote:Perhaps it was a case of having expectations raised unrealistically high by the rave reviews :D

Overall, I found the meal nice, in an understated sort of way. The chicken was fresh and tender with a bit of pinkish flesh, the way I like it. The rice was a bit dry, but got nice smell.

At $3.50 per plate, the portion of chicken was on the small side. In comparison, the $3 plate at Sin Kee in the same vicinity usually leaves me feeling full.

They served me the boneless version (not requested by me) and provided only chilli (it was nice!) and ginger, no dark sauce. The chap who served me (should be the son) was rather polite though.

Perhaps only the more discerning in taste would be able to truly appreciate their merits. But to the average Joe diner like yours truly here, it didn't really match up to what I read here.

BTW, the kopi O there tasted slightly bitter and lacked coffee aroma. Despite the elderly helper shouting "kopi O kao" surprisingly loud for his age, it came diluted.

Tiantianch wrote:Raised the price already? :o I thought the standard order is $2.50?[/quote}]

C_T_Lao wrote:
At Jiang Ji, I told them I wanted white chicken rice and did not give any other instructions. The $3.50 plate of boneless chicken, bowl of soup, plate of rice with chilli and ginger condiments (sans dark soya sauce) were the outcome. So seems that this is the "standard" meal?

foodlovee wrote:First time I ate it was $2.50 chicken,quite reasonable portion for the price with chilly,ginger and black sauce served without being asked.Yesterday it was $3.00 chicken,portion was much smaller than the $2.50,the soup was very faint in flavour and hardly had the herbal taste, and was served with chilly only.
The seem to be adjusting to their popularity. :lol:
They seem to forget Beo crescent fc has a $1.00 and $2.00 chicken rice stall. :roll:
rict11 wrote:Finally made it to Jiang Ji. I like the smoothy, slimy skin very much :)
Regular

Postby Moderator » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:06 pm

BobcatSysOp wrote:07 Feb 2011 3 pax Lunch with my wife and Dr.Azarael aka Derrick at Jiang Ji Traditional Hainanese Chicken Rice @ 745 Havelock Road, Singapore 169657.
I ordered innards (both liver and kian) as a side dish, ended up only me eating this. I think it cost SGD1.00

For 3 pax, we ordered half chicken and that is SGD10 for this plate with de-boned chicken meat. It is a lot with just meat. It's Derrick's 1st time and he enjoyed it very much. He's gonna return this Wed again with his wife.

The rice is fragrant and fluffy, grain by grain not lumpy, not oily nor greasy.

A pleasant surprise for us. Perhaps only old folks enjoy this kind of delicacy and I guess I am lucky today. The roasted one is excellent.

BobcatSysOp wrote:12 Feb 2011 We ordered 1 whole chicken for SGD19 + 50 cents per plate of rice. We got 2 plates of boneless half chicken of yummy delicious 5 pax family dinner @ Sgt Kiang's Jiang Ji Traditional Hainanese Chicken Rice @ 745 Havelock Road, Singapore 169657.
Today Lunch time, Silverchef and his family were there. Dinner time, I met Panerai and his Australian Businessman there having dinner. What a coincidence.
BobcatSysOp wrote:I was there at Jiang Ji around noon time to buy takeaway as I already had lunch with Uncle Smart earlier at Tiong Bahru FC.. and Susan told me that last night, one Japanese came on his own to eat there. wow.. Susan was so thrilled.
Bugger wrote::D

kiasu wrote:if not because of panerai and ttc also other postings i will suggest not just isolate thread for this chicken rice but better trf this thread into advertising section as it is smelling like one now. :lol: very soon this one will become spam like labrador seafood. maybe bubao is going to ask if havelock is haunted. :lol: :lol:
Bubao wrote:How come I go eat chicken rice at Sgt Kiang people ask me I come from iEat or not? Only iEat people can eat there meh? :(

Kopi uncle some more ask me why I never wear black shirt?

Wats the meaning? :roll:

Kiasu peh, Havelock haunted meh? :o :o
highlander wrote:My impression is that the kakis in this forum seem to be the ones most excited over the chicken rice, I wonder what gave them the impression. In any case, just eat lah. If you don't want to be bothered, don't whip out your camera :lol:
Regular

Postby Moderator » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:08 pm

Tiantianchi wrote:Sign of inflation is getting more apparent after CNY @19 Feb. Song Ji chicken rice has up their chicken price by $2 per chicken.That means a 10% increase. :(

BobcatSysOp wrote:Yahoo Lifestyle found Jiang Ji Hainanese Chicken Rice "Fit to Post"
By Angela Lim – February 21st, 2011. Worth a try..
http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2011/02/21 ... g-is-back/

C_T_Lao wrote:Uncle Bob, while I appreciate the good intentions (and enjoy reading your posts!), think our "Sergeant" has already been promoted enough to "Major" liao :D

Am looking forward to hearing from you about other great chicken rice joints...
Bubao wrote:Uncle this one is the article by Seetoh lah. You are repeating yourself :-)
Regular

Postby Moderator » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:21 pm

BobcatSysOp wrote:I am trying to stick to the topic of "which is your favourite chicken rice stall" and my answer has been very clear. However, I will list my top 3 instead of my favourite. Hope that I am not OFF-TOPIC.

1. Jiang Ji Traditional Hainanese Chicken Rice and 2. Leong Hainanese Chicken Rice at Shunfu are my No. 1 and 2.
My No. 3 is Loy Kee Chicken Rice stall at Whampoa morning market.
BobcatSysOp wrote:Panerai and TTC,
I was there at Jiang Ji today and was told that the renovation dates are somewhat confirmed.
Jiang Ji Traditional Hainanese Chicken Rice at Hong Xiang Eating House, 745 Havelock Road is undergoing renovations and will be closed for one month starting Monday Mar 21st, 2011. They will re-open on or before Good Friday, 22nd April, 2011.
Bubao wrote:Wah only TTC and Panerai can know ah? Uncle you machem Jiang Ji advertising agency leh. :lol: :lol:
melsie wrote:
Bubao wrote:So fierce one. :( They closed already how to try? :-?

I think you are very naughty. Always like to poke here and there, rightly or wrongly hahaha.
Tiantianchi wrote:Bubao, so much write up you go eat already or not? If not either contribute positively or shut up and read. :lol: :lol:
Regular

Postby Moderator » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:24 pm

BobcatSysOp wrote:Panerai,
Nice meeting you again today at Jiang Ji during lunch time. Latest Update. I was told that final approval from NEA has been obtained for renovation works for Jiang Ji Traditional Hainanese Chicken Rice at Hong Xiang Eating House, 745 Havelock Road to start on Friday 01 Apr 2011 for a 1 month period. They should re-open on or before Sun May 01, 2011.
foodlovee wrote:So,now closing date change to 31/3/11??? :roll:
Panerai wrote:Hi Bob
nice to see you there too. i was in the vicinity and my cravings surge.. :lol: especially having been away for a week.
my friend likes the chicken rice and has told sgt Jiang that he will take his dad over tomorrow for lunch...:) me off to SH tmrw.... be back next week...
iJeff wrote:Hi Panerai,
I guess it was you that I met at Jiang Ji during lunch today (before Bob). I am the tall chap from VW & Audi Group SG forum

Glad both of you met up. Anyway, am going there with a visiting Malaysian couple today for lunch.
Regular

Postby BobcatSysOp » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:16 am

Renovation update for Jiang Ji Traditional Hainanese Chicken Rice as announced by Susan Kiang: Tuesday 29 Mar, 2011 will be Jiang Ji's last day of business at Hong Xiang eating house as renovation work kicks in for one month or so.

However, we will be relocating to a shop house, just few steps away from the eating house, in light of offering new dishes to more customers. The grand opening of our new store will be in mid... May with date yet to be confirmed.

We will post an update when the date is confirmed! =)

Thanks for your support throughout and we hope to see you again when Jiang Ji reopen.
Message from Jiang Ji Traditional Hainanese Chicken Rice .
aka Bob|In-Car-Entertainment, Home Audio and Music Lover!. http://www.sgcaraudio.net/ |Foodie!.http://www.facebook.com/ykchan01
BobcatSysOp
Regular

Postby rict11 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:21 pm

Any updates on the new location, anyone?
rict11
Seasoned Makankaki

Postby BobcatSysOp » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:02 pm

Looks like it is going to be delayed again due to complications in the renovation works.. So they are now looking at JULY sometime. Will post when they are re-open.
aka Bob|In-Car-Entertainment, Home Audio and Music Lover!. http://www.sgcaraudio.net/ |Foodie!.http://www.facebook.com/ykchan01
BobcatSysOp
Regular

Postby rict11 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:12 am

Thanks! :)
rict11
Seasoned Makankaki

Next

Return to Street Food